Friday, February 11, 2011

Fairytale Friday

I decided to try creating a weekly entry called "Fairytale Friday".  Named this, not because the stories aren't real, but because they come entirely from our memories and therefore, can no longer be independently verified.  That means, there is likely a bit of fantasy mixed in.  Not intentionally, you understand, but just because our memories sometimes either blur or become exaggerated over time.  I'll want to include your stories, too.  So be thinking....until then....

Once upon a time, there were crayons and a table.....

...and as far as I can remember, the table sat in the living room of the old funeral home.  When I was a little girl, Maudie would color with me at this table.  We lived across the street in the little white house and when all the other grown ups were busy, Maudie would watch me.  And color with me.  And demonstrate infinite patience with me.
The little table now lives at my house, the cut glass candy dish one of the last things Mama gave me.  She said the dish needed to live with me because it always sat on the coffee table.  So for today, here's the start of our stories. You'll remember the table.  You may not remember the dish.  But you certainly remember hours spent coloring with Crayola crayons.

Finally, to tie the pieces together, a picture from so long ago of us girls on the couch with the little table just barely visible in the lower left hand corner.

(l. to r.  Beth, Cindy, Mama, Grandmother, Rose Mary, and Maudie)
PS.  Just because there aren't any small children in our house, doesn't mean that bringing out crayons wasn't fun :-)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment